"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives," Annie Dillard
We each have 24 hours per day to manage....how many times have you said, "I wish I had another hour today?" or "I can't get everything done that needs to get completed today"....or some similar statement. I know I have! Over the last decade or so, the Lord has been teaching me how to better manage my waking hours. Most people live with undirected time. If you don't have a plan, you will waste your time.
In the book, Margin, Dr. Richard Swenson shares the following facts about how insignificant activities in life chip away at our precious time. On average, we spend in our lifetime:
As we move into this new year, excited about the possibilities that are open to us, I want to give a few suggestions as to how we can better manage our waking hours and redeem the time!
10 tips for planning your daily schedule:
1) Pay attention to your energy ebb & flow throughout the day. Plan to accomplish demanding tasks when you're likely to have the energy needed.
2) Highlight 2-4 things that are the essentials of the day (the" have-to's")
3) Check emails at the time(s) of the day when you are tired, so you can answer quickly and not expend too much energy.
4) Build in buffer zones before and after each significant task, so you have room to "breathe" ~ take a 5 minute power walk or stretch; go for a walk outside; etc.
5) Be realistic when you are planning your day. Do not compare your schedule to anyone else's. You know what is reasonable for you. Know your limits.
6) If tasks are piling up as the day continues, ask yourself of each activity: Is this a rubber ball (can be dropped; it will bounce back) or glass ball (will break if not attended to)?
7) Schedule time with the Lord just like a meeting or class. My challenge to you this year: Tithe your time (2 1/2 hours/day in the Secret Place with the Lord~ to listen to His voice, study His Word, & prayer).
8) Be alert to the amount of time you spend on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Etc... Having technology at our fingertips can create unwise use of time.
9) Before you get out of bed in the morning, give your day to the Lord.
10) Plan ahead. See what's coming in your week and get ready for it.
MAKE THIS YOUR BEST YEAR EVER!!!!!!!!!!!
My loves in life: Spending time in the prayer room; reading & teaching God's Word; my husband; my kids; working out or running; movies; being with family & friends